Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dear Dad

You where born on Aug.30 1901. So your Birthday is today.As a old Lady I am going back in years.I remember walking on a bridge in the Netherlands that you where making.It was the three of us,you Gerrit and me. I must have been 5 or 6 years old. I wore a pink dress and a big white bow in my hair.You where my Idol, my Dad.The next outstanding time was in 1940. This is when you where called for Duty in the Dutch Army. I still see you winding bands around your legs, that where your socks.Then Hitler took over our Country and things got worse and worse.Sometime we did not see you for a while. Later we found out you where in the under ground against the Germans.How sad and afraid we where. What a worry you must have had. A wife and 5 children.Now I still feel the pain for you. Then after the W.W.II War I left for the U.S.A. with your first grandchild. You brought us to the Train Station, wearing sun glasses so I could not see your tears. How hard that must have been for you.You lost a daughter and Granddaughter.I still miss you. But what you where for me , still remains.I see you some times in my Grandson.Same nature and same looks. And my memories of you are back. Happy Birthday Dad. Your loving Daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment