Thursday, July 16, 2009

Granddaughters.

Yesterday I had my 2 granddaughters Kim and Kristy over for lunch. It was so nice to have the two over because Kristy lives now for a while in London and I do not see her often. It was so nice. It made me think back of my own Grandparents in the Netherlands. I was named after my Mothers Mother. Her name was Trijntje. I was close to her al her life. I stayed with her many times. She lived in a small town called "Een". Every one in town know her. She helped mothers delivering new babys and if they needed her she was there. Also in the town lived my Fathers sister. Her husband had a coal business, and my Aunt had a small store for sewing. When I was at my Grandmother I would walk over to my Aunt and she would give me some samples of material, and then later at my Grandmothers I would played store. I also played games with my Grandmother. I called her Beppe. This is the friesean name for Grandmother. Later years I would go over to her and help her with her work. It helped her and made me feel good. My Fathers parents, Fokke and Jantina where a little older. And as a teenager I would take the bike and visit them They where happy to see me. It would take me a little over a hour to see them. When I look back how simple life was then.Grandparents then our now are Grandparents. Grandchildren are now in many ways the same, but the influence of the world makes live more complicated. The simple times are gone. They all have more material things. It does not make them happier. Sometimes a little hardship makes you stronger.My teen age years where hard in World WarII. I rather not remember. But it makes you for the rest of your life more appreciate life. I do not wish that at all to my Grandchildren but stand still a moment and see where you are. Life can be great if you know how to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment