Saturday, February 19, 2011

Memories

Today my mind wandered back to the war years.I was thinking this time 61 years ago how I felt. Scared to dead. In the back of our house Germans in a bunker,and in front we heard artillery going. At times right over us. What we did not know then was that they had dropped Canadian soldiers about a couple of miles from us in a hidden field with shrubs. We had walked there, but never saw anything.So we knew from the shootings and what was going on or freedom was coming, but when.This kept going on for a while. We could taste the freedom but what was the price we had to give.The feeling that I had as a 19 year old teenager I can not put in words. Then for a couple of weeks you did not hear anything and you wonder are they coming. We did not feel like doing anything. Al we saw elderly German soldiers also wondering what was coming.Most of them where tyred and want to go home. They also had it. What was going to happen to them?At that time we really did not care.WE did not want to see them any more.Finally in April we heard more shooting and fire coming from the South. That was good. The faster the better. But we where not there yet. Food was nothing any more. The stores where empty. I do not know how my Mother made it. 5 children and hardly any food. Finally on April 12 1945 we could hear them come closer.WE had to stay in the house, it was not save any place.Then on April 13 we saw a Canadian soldier in our yard. My Father went to great him but he said to go inside. The Germans where still in back of our house. More and more soldiers came and finally with their hands up the Germans came out the bunker. Also glad they made it.The scary feeling you get you never forget. That is why I am sympathize so with the country that are fighting now for there freedom.Freedom and to speak your mind that is what every men and woman wants.I hate to see what is going on T.V. now days. It brings back all the feelings I had at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment