Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Today is the day.

Yes today May 6 is the day we arrived in N.Y. It had been cold on the ocean and N.Y. temperature was 85. My little Nancy 6 months old had a knitted woll dress on. My husbands cousin met us at the port.My mother and father in law and there 2 children, Wilma 19 and Louis 14 went by car to Rochester. Dad , Nancy and I went by train. I do not remember to much about that trip, the only thing I remember was that my husband had to go to the bathroom and at that time the conductor came for our ticket and I did not know what he said our wanted. English was verboten in the war. All the books where burned and nothing then German was on the radio. So I could not speak one word of English, I remember walking with Nancy in Rochester streets and heard the kids talk, how cute but I could not understand.The first serious thinking of learning English came, when Nancy was about four years old and I took her to Nursery school and at the same time mothers got together. That was my beginning and I never stopped learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment