Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Something old?




I have a dish with a story.For me it started in the 1940.In WW2 when every thing was bad in the Netherlands. There was little food,the Germans took every thing out of our Country to feed the Germans. On the trains it said a gift from the Dutch. Well it was not a gift, we had to dig the potato's out the wet ground and they would take them. There was a guard with a gun watching us. If you stopped he would shoot you. At this time it was better in the North. We had a little ground to grow or own vegetables. So some old folks from Amsterdam or so try to move in with people in the North. My husband friends family had a elder lady from Amsterdam.And we got to know her. Then when my husband and I got engaged she gave us a beautiful dish. Cream colored with gold and black flowers. She had it a long time and I just loved it. It went trough the years of children and grand children.Now the great grand children are here and when they come I put it on a dresser I do not want to lose it after all the years. Last week my grand daughter was here and we looked it up in the computer,and it looks like it came from Germany and was made in the 1700.I can not believe, it is so beautiful and now I know it is so old it means even more. I am going to try to put a picture with this. If anyone knows more let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment