Wednesday, February 25, 2009

School day

Today is my day to work at school. I have a couple of nice first graders and help them to read. It makes me look back at my years of school. I went to kindergarden,our Kleuterschool in Oosterwolde where I was born.Then my Dad became oversier on road works and we went where ever he had to work with him as a family. So when I was 12 years old I had gone to 9 schools. Looking back it was hard. Your family was everything, because you had no time to make friends One day on Februari 22 I came home from school with my older brother and the Dr. was in our house. Come to find out I had a new brother.No-4. That same year I do remember on my birthday I brougth cookies to school. Otherwise my only friend that I do remember was in kindergarden, Trijntje Nijholt. We stayed friends for all our lifes. She died a few years back. When I was 12 years old we moved to Assen, Provincie Drente. A year later the Germans took over the Netherlands. From then our lives where not our own anymore. I always wanted to go in to nursing, but if you had a degree you never knew where Hitler wanted you. So our lives stood still for 5 years. My teenage years. Always afraid what would come next. But I did wanted to learn a little more, so I went to home economic school and took different classes there. But you could not do everything you wanted. All books in English where verboden. They took our radio's so we had no contact with the outside world. I missed 5 years of my live. O bright moment came in 1944 when I met my future husband. It also was the worst year of the war. We did learn do with all the problems we had we apriciated everything more the rest off our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment