Saturday, March 28, 2009

How we met.

In 1944 we lived in Assen, Netherlands. One of my girl vriend was Geertje. She had a boyfriend named Henk Jacobs. One day my friend said my friends and two of his friends are givng a concert. It was in the afternoon, because we had to be of the road at 8 p.m. She asked if I wanted to go and I said I love to. So we went . The concert was wonderful. Three young men in early twenties played violin, guitar, banjo and more.Lots of folksongs. After the concert I asked Geertje if I could meet the main singer. He was blond and blue eyes. She aid she would find out.On sundays young people would go to Main street in the woods. Walk back and fort hoping to meet a boy our girl. Wel Geertje came with Henk and Roelof, Mans could not come he had to baby sit for his baby brother. And I said to Geertje that is not the one I want to meet. So a couple of weeks later we went to Henk house. His mother was a widow and very nice. So the friends got together. It was a nice afternoon. When I was leaving to get my bike the tire had come of. No innertire, just a piece of rubber with rope to hold it together. So Mans came out and put it together again and that was my first contact with my future husband.Pretty soon we where going out together. Then after a year I had it with him. Wrote a letter and told him I wanted to go in to nursing and want it done with him.Well what did Mans do he went to my mother and said he wanted to talk to me.Well we did and his behavior made me fall in love with him and from that day on it was great.On December 20 1946 we got engaged. We wanted to get married in 1947 but could not find a place to live. So we kept on looking . Then in 1948 his sister said you can have half of our little house. So on April 15 1948 we got married and moved in a one room and one bedroom place. We shared the kitchen. Small but we lived happy ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment